This wall clock has a case that is in exceptional condition. Ansonia wall clocks are not common in our collection, but this common design is likeable. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the movement. When I first wound the clock , I was surprised to find that it worked, but the chiming was very erratic. Upon inspection, I found that the movement had been modified and the count wheel had been removed and replaced with a strange wheel with pins added that activated the striking hammer.
I compared the movement to an identical ‘original’ movement and I can only conclude that someone has attempted to either convert this clock into some kind of alarm clock (and failed) or to repair the strike train (and failed). The time train runs fine.
Wall Clocks Online
We have many wall clocks in our collection. Check a few of them:
Spring Wound Wall Clock
- E.N. Welch Clock. Gallery Clock – When this one strikes the hour, the sound of the gong is almost drowned out by the noise of the gears clattering as they spin. . . Terrible bloody racket!
- Waterbury Clock : store regulator – Some of these clocks have product names printed on the glass. These were mass produced clocks. As such, the cases and movements are obviously of a much lesser quality than, say, office or school house regulators.
- French Irod: two-chime, art deco wall clock – The movement plates are separated into three separate plates enabling one to dismantle each train individually.
Weight Driven Wall Clock
- Two weight Vienna Regulator – With a second hand. Late 1800’s. As we’ve mentioned before, we are well-aware that these are not referred to as Vienna Regulators in Europe.
- Three-weight Vienna Regulator– This clock has ‘Grand Sonnerie’ striking. It first chimes the quarter, then the hour. For example, at 6:30, it chimes twice on the quarter then 6 times on the hour.
- Dachluhr Vienna Regulator – One of my finest clocks, a Dachluhr Vienna Regulator. Technically, it is a clock simply in the Dachluhr style. A regulator with dead beat escapement and maintaining power.