CONCLUSION: Vienna Regulator project. Ca 1860.

The more I dug into this Vienna Regulator repair project the more problems I discovered:

  • Ratchet (click) on winding barrel brokenvienna regulator repair project
  • Pallet retaining screw broken on verge
  • Winding barrel ratchet lever bent
  • Porcelain dial center retainer corroded beyond repair
  • Case required complete disassembly and rebuild.
  • Add correct weight and cable

It would be easier to list the only item not needing repair….The pendulum!!

Upon inspecting the case, I found a number of Phillips head screws had been used in prior repairs, to hold the case together along with a couple of steel braces. Also, there was an excessive amount of glue. It looked as though this clock had taken a dive off a wall at some stage in its history. The hinges were also rigged.

vienna regulator repair project

Repaired Movement

vienna regulator repair project

I have never had to disassemble a clock case to this degree before. I broke down all the parts and completed the clean-up to remove all the old glue and refinish the joints correctly then reassembled. I only had to refinish a few areas where the old finish was beyond saving. The overall result was very pleasing and the case is now back to original.


To be perfectly honest with you, this clock would not be referred to a Vienna Regulator in Europe. The only clocks considered to be regulators in the old world are the phenomenally precise instruments you find at places like the Royal Observatory in Greenwich. This clock would probably be called a ‘Viennese Wall Clock’ in England. However, the term regulator has been adopted in America to apply to any moderately fine time keeper. Since we are in America, we’ve retained terms such as ‘regulator’ and ‘bracket clock’, but we are aware that these terms are not international, never mind universal . . .

5 responses to “CONCLUSION: Vienna Regulator project. Ca 1860.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *