The more I dug into this Vienna Regulator repair project the more problems I discovered:
- Ratchet (click) on winding barrel broken
- Pallet retaining screw broken on verge
- Winding barrel ratchet lever bent
- Porcelain dial center retainer corroded beyond repair
- Case required complete disassembly and rebuild.
- Add correct weight and cable
It would be easier to list the only item not needing repair….The pendulum!!
Upon inspecting the case, I found a number of Phillips head screws had been used in prior repairs, to hold the case together along with a couple of steel braces. Also, there was an excessive amount of glue. It looked as though this clock had taken a dive off a wall at some stage in its history. The hinges were also rigged.
I have never had to disassemble a clock case to this degree before. I broke down all the parts and completed the clean-up to remove all the old glue and refinish the joints correctly then reassembled. I only had to refinish a few areas where the old finish was beyond saving. The overall result was very pleasing and the case is now back to original.