This is a Vienna regulator-style, unmarked German 8-day clock.
It has a spring-driven movement, with fine quality gear work and machined pinions. Upon disassembly, I noticed that both main springs had hairline cracks at the hole or barrel end. I annealed the spring ends and cut off the defective tips and reformed new hole ends.
I always check mainsprings for fractures such as this whenever I remove the springs. Mainspring failure is always a recipe for disaster. If a spring breaks under load it can potentially render a movement unrepairable if gears and pinions are damaged…well worth the time to perform some preventative maintenance.
One of my finest clocks, a Dachluhr Vienna Regulator. Technically, it is a clock simply in the Dachluhr style. A regulator with dead beat escapement and maintaining power.
Dachluhr-style Vienna Regulator
Not sure exactly what age this is, best guess is late 1800’s. I rebuilt and cleaned the movement and discovered that the maintaining power (MP) spring had failed. A previous tinkerer had fashioned a bent piece of wire as a substitute, forcing the maintaining wheel and main wheel apart. I have removed the bent wire and pinned the two wheels together temporarily while I hunt the world for a replacement MP spring. Any suggestions are welcome!
The more I dug into this Vienna Regulator repair project the more problems I discovered:
- Ratchet (click) on winding barrel broken
- Pallet retaining screw broken on verge
- Winding barrel ratchet lever bent
- Porcelain dial center retainer corroded beyond repair
- Case required complete disassembly and rebuild.
- Add correct weight and cable
It would be easier to list the only item not needing repair….The pendulum!!
Upon inspecting the case, I found a number of Phillips head screws had been used in prior repairs, to hold the case together along with a couple of steel braces. Also, there was an excessive amount of glue. It looked as though this clock had taken a dive off a wall at some stage in its history. The hinges were also rigged.
I have never had to disassemble a clock case to this degree before. I broke down all the parts and completed the clean-up to remove all the old glue and refinish the joints correctly then reassembled. I only had to refinish a few areas where the old finish was beyond saving. The overall result was very pleasing and the case is now back to original.