This clock was a restoration, I have included before and after photos. I cleaned the movement and made some minor repairs.
Upon inspection, I noticed that the fly had been soldered to the fly pinion.
The fly must rotate on its shaft with only the drag produced by the fly spring. This is very important because if the fly does not spin when the strike cycle stops, the momentum created by the fly could shear off the gathering pallet. This was a fact that I learnt when working on this clock (thanks Jim!).
It is amazing, how one can miss the smallest details that could potentially have disastrous consequences if not tended to correctly. We unsoldered the fly from its shaft and replaced the fly spring after fabricating a new retaining washer. The clock was then reassembled.
Another problem was to figure out the synchronization of the strike train. We found that there was a timing marker on the second wheel that synced to the ‘long tooth’ on the gathering pallet pinion gear.
The final step was to fabricate the wood shelf that the clock now sits upon. I probably spent more hours on this clock than I have on any other…..It was worth all the work!